[mythtv-users] Scheduling Suggestions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 17 12:07:46 EST 2005

James Pifer wrote:

>Here's what I ended up setting last night just to get rid of the
>recording conflicts.
>		Capture Card	Early	Late
>Lost 		1		 0 	0
>CSI 		1		-1	0
>Law & Order	2		-4 	2
>
>Law & Order with a -4 start still got almost everything. It cut off a
>tiny been of the Intro, but got all of the show. CSI cut off a little
>bit of the beginning, I'm guessing 30 secs to 1 minute.
>
>Lost was on the listing until 10:04, how frustrating is that!

Yep.  It's a new trick that the networks (especially ABC) are using to
cause exactly this problem.  They advertise the show as a "Special
extended episode of Lost" (to make the viewer feel he/she is getting
more out of the deal) and cut into the next broadcast slot so that when
Lost (one of their most-popular shows--so one you're unlikely to stop
watching at 10:00) ends, you've already missed the beginning of CSI:NY.
Therefore, instead of watching a partial episode of another network's
show, the average viewer continues to watch ABC shows (in this case
Invasion).

Hmmmm.  I wonder how much "extended" the episode was.  I'll have to pull
my copy and cut commercials and compare it with a standard 1-hour Lost
episode to see just how much content was in the extra 4 minutes (I'll
bet it's less than 4 minutes).

Mike