[mythtv-users] Interesting potential lightweight frontend

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 11:53:50 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> *Actually, they'll probably get dedicated H.264 decoders, which will be
> much cheaper than Athlon X2 4800+ processors.  The 4800+ should come
> close to being able to decode 1080i60 (1920x1080 at 30 frames/sec (60
> fields/sec)) in software in real-time, although I still don't think it
> will quite make it.  Maybe the 5000+ will...

That bad? Apple claim [1] that a dual G5 can decode 1080 in real time in
software (well, unless the ATI card provides some hardware assist but I
don't think it does). I'd be really suprised if an X2 4800 was slower
than the dual G5s apple are shipping at, given that my Athlon XP (XP,
not X2) 1800 easily outperforms my G4 1.25....

Jules

[1] http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/faq.html [2]
[2] It's a shame that the technology is 'open' but massively patent
encumbered. *sigh*