[mythtv-users] Re: cannot capture audio

RKVJ rkvj at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 17:37:51 EST 2005

Yes, I made sure that the line-in is set as the
record-source and is muted. Tvtime and xawtv work
properly when I unmute the line-in. Another way I'm
able to get hear the real-time audio is increasing the
volume level on "AC97" control, with the
"capture"(which I believe is AC97 capture) also
selected as a recording source. The funny thing about
AC97 is that it continues to play even after I exit
out of mythtv !

Essestially, I'm not able to get the audio
captured/buffered. Any ideas on how to debug/fix the
problem further?

Thanks

RKVJ

 On 16/11/05, RKVJ <rkvj[at]yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Mythtv-users,
>
> I'm trying to get mythtv up on an AMD64 machine that
> runs Fedora 4(32-bit OS, since I couldn't get mythtv
> to work on x86_64 version) and haven't had any luck
in
> getting the buffered sound to work(record or
> playback). I'm using a 'Hauppauge WintvGo(uses bt878
> chipset)' for video capture and 'Creative sound
> blaster live value' for sound card. I use a patch
> cable to feed the output of the capture card to the
> sound card via its line-in.

Does your TV card support snd-bt8x8?

<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/144027?search_string=audio%20blaster%20live;#144027>

> Some information on my installation/hardware:
>
> I used Jarod Wilson's installation steps for
guidance.
> mostly; referred to the mythtv website for
> troubleshooting tips.
>
> I tried the sound-test from the mythtv installation
> notes - fired-up xawtv, with the line-in on the
> sound-card muted and tried 'aplay /dev/dsp'; I do
see
> the underrun messages such as :
>
> ---------------------------------------
> underrun!!! (at least 10.483 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.528 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.565 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.567 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.563 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.569 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.565 ms long)
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> but do not hear any sound :(
>
> I can record tv, but only without the sound, which
is
> probably because the audio-capture is not happening
> through /dev/dsp.

Have you monitored your sound mixer settings whilst
playing TV and
making sure your line in is set up to record/muted and
your ouput
devices are set to sufficient volume?

Nick