[mythtv-users] Re: $20 tuner at CompUSA

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:22:32 EST 2005

On 11/16/05, n3hat at fuse.net <n3hat at fuse.net> wrote:

> I downloaded the manual. It's a .doc but OOo2.0 opens it fine. The bundled
> WinApp is called WinTVR3. The screenshots refer to a Conexant 2388xTF. The
> manual says "The New Hardware Wizard will...detect the "Conexant 23880 Video
> Capture (NTSC)" device."
>
> The picture shows an F connector for RF input.
> There also appears to be a 9-pin mini-DIN socket. There is a multi-headed
> cable that plugs into this port. The 4 branches are labeled
> S-Video (appears to be female S-Video Mini-DIN),
> Video IN (female RCA),
> Audio IN (appears to be female 3.5mm phone jack), and
> Audio OUT (appears to be female 3.5mm phone jack).
>
> Anyone know if this card will work with MythTV?
>
> Bob Koblish

If that is for sure a Conexant 2388x, that chipset should be supported in
the 2.6 kernel by v4l, in which case it will work in linux. No guarantees,
of course, since I don't know that anyone is using that card with linux, or
if there are any differences between the other cards using that chipset and
that one.

I got that from a google search which turned up this page:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/MythTV

*"Digitalnow DNTV Live! DVB-T*
Chipset: Conexant 2388x
Support: Full Support under Kernel 2.6.12+
Kernel Modules Required: cx88xx, cx88-dvb. Drivers will autodetect card type
Remote: Works under lircd 0.7.2+. Requires /dev/input support in lircd"

Keep in mind that the ONLY thing those two cards have in common is the
chipset, so it may not work at all.

I still say that you should opt for a more commonly used card, just because
it will be much easier in the long run. the Hauppauge PVR-150 is as cheap as
$60 online, and you'll get instant gratification, as you'll be up and
running in minutes->hours, as opposed to days->weeks that the conexant
no-name card will surely take.

- Jeff