[mythtv-users] Re: Libmpeg and weird colors

Robert Lundy robert.lundy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:10:18 EST 2005

I actually fixed the strange colors-somehow the hue color control was set to
"0" instead of 50.
 As to my issues with using libmpeg only and no xvmc-
 My test backend is an Athlon XP 3200 (400mhz) on a Foxconn SiS based MB
using 512mb Geil PC3200 DDR. Video card is an Nividia 5600 AGP. Audio is the
onboard SiS stuff using the inXXX driver. DMA is on as verified by hdparm.
Proc util w/o xvmc is about 60-80% depending on options (opengl sync on/off,
use video as timebase, deinterlacing method, etc.) Last night I almost got
it consistently watchable. 720p 60fps seems to be harder to deal with than
1080i sources. My HD card is a rev 1 (Broadcom decoder) Air2pc. OS is FC4
with the 2.6.13-1532 kernel. I'm using the atrpms version of myth.
 My test frontend is a Sempron (socket 462) 3000 on a VIA based MB built by
ASAS for compaq. Video is an Nvidia 5200. Audio is a MadDog Envy 24 card
using the ICEXXX driver. Everything else is the same as the master backend.
This PC is also at 60-80% proc utilization with almost acceptable playback
w/o xvmc.
 I'm not a complete noob, but I'm also not a Linux genius. Something is
bottnecking me-FC4, the hardware, the video card, something. The only thing
different on the laptop, other than an intel chip and ati graphics is that
the kernel is the Fedora version of 2.6.14-xxxx.
 I'm almost at the point I'm going to ebay all this stuff and go buy Intel.
But I haven't built an Intel based pc since a PIII-733 in 2000. I don't even
know what memory matches what chip. I've just been an AMD person.
 Any other troubleshooting tips are appreciated. I could live with xvmc's
shortcomings for a while-until something else gets fixed or figured out.
      > Hmmm, and I always thought that an Athlon 3000 or higher could play
smooth
> HD with no Xvmc... What's your CPU look like on the AMD box when playing
HD
> content?
>
> On 11/14/05, Robert Lundy <robert.lundy[at]gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have been suprised with how well my P4M 1.6ghz laptop has been doing as
> > frontend, considering its got ATI graphics, meaning no xvmc. Compared to

> > my AMD athlon 3200, which plays HD choppily without xvmc, the results
> > have been awesome. Why are these intel chips so much better?
> >
> > Anyway, to get the smooth(er) playback, I started using libmpeg-but the
> > colors are almost like a negative-people are green, pizza looked blue.
> > Weird.
> >
> > Is this typical behavior? I'm thinking its reading something strange
> > about the colorspace. Video is the Radeon mobility M300 PCIe in a Dell
> > inspiron 9300, using the newest ATI proprietary driver (released
> > 11/11/05?).

it should be able to, my two Athlon64 3200+ computers can do it with ~40%
cpu
usage.

Steve