[mythtv-users] Rip DVD to H.264

Joshua Lewis jmlewis at dslextreme.com
Wed Nov 16 11:44:49 EST 2005

I am curious. Can I rip my DVD's to H.264?

I love my DVD's. I hate how much space they take in my living room. I am
attempting to setup my firt MythTV box using Knopmyth. The problems is I
only have a small drive right now.

There will be no TV on this box it will purly be a movie sytem. But I am
looking at my 100+ DVD's and my 60GB drive and thinking this isn't going
to cut it. I am hopeing to rectify this problem in the next year but
untill I can prove to my wife this will work I am on a strict budget.

I was experimenting with H.264 yesterday and I was able to get my 7GB DVD
down to a Single GB. I had no problem with the quality. So I was wondering
if there is some way to view an H.264 movie in MythTV.

I am still clueless when it comes to PVR/Media Centers. So I am sorry if I
use the wrong terminology but can I add some type of codec to read the new
files? Can I setup MythTV to rip the DVD to H.264 instead of MPEG4? Saving
me a lot of time.

Any ideas would be a great help.

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis