[mythtv-users] Re: KnoppMyth R5A22 seriously broken (was: RE: Mythtv -0.18.1 using protocol 15)

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:03:46 EST 2005

On 04/11/05, cwatson at linkline.com <cwatson at linkline.com> wrote:
> Isaac Richards writes:
>
> > On Thursday 03 November 2005 02:28 pm, Jim Reith wrote:
> >> I'm assuming you're not the original poster. My point was that
> >> whomever complained about KnoppMyth here should have looked to the
> >> forum that supports it and that is monitored by the distro packager
> >> before complaining in the general list.
> >
> > Judging by the official answers in that thread you linked to, people should be
> > asking questions on this list.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> All this excitement over a little mistake.  Isaac, I truly appreciate what
> you've started with MythTV.  It is _the way_ I watch TV.  However, I don't
> appreciate your tone in this thread.  I didn't just pull random version of
> SVN to use with my latest release.  Following the directions on
> svn.mythtv.org, I did the following:
>
> svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-18-fixes/mythtv
>
> Was I wrong in my zeal to try and include the latest "stable" release with
> of MythTV with KnoppMyth?

KnoppMyth is great for getting a basic system up and running but when
you try to polish it (i.e. get nuv2disc working or updating to current
versions) things tend to go horrobly wrong.  I did a few clean
installs but some of the sources are broken and they include
experimental (whitch is not for the faint harted).  I ended up getting
in a situation on every time when apt-get fell over and there was no
way of using it.  I ended up dumping the distro and going to gentoo.
It may be a longer jurny but you learn a lot and I am constently
moving forward.  With gentoo you may have to climb a few hils but you
dont keep on hitting brick walls.

Regards,
Ben