[mythtv-users] xmltv questions - the finer points

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 03:10:00 EST 2005

On 14/11/05, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Got my system up and running but am trying to get my head around the
> finer points of XMLTV.  I did a full channel scan and all is well. I
> have my .xmltv file with the stations I want and run the
> mythfilldatabase script (I am using the UK Alternative/radio times
> grabber).    It populated the guide but created a load of duplicate
> channels with slightly different names (i.e. there are 3 with a id of
> 3, one is called ITV3 and the other have numbers as their name.
>
> I know I need to add xmltv codes and was in fact quite surprised it
> did anything without them.  So I guess my question is when does the
> grabber create channels and what are the finer points of xmltv
> configuration that are needed to stop this?

If you ensure that you have deleted all extraneous copies of the
channels which were created, and then make sure that the channels left
have XMLTVIDs that match those in your <source>.xmltv (removing any
entries in the <source>.xmltv file that do not have corresponding
channels), do channels still reappear?

I run mfdb from cron in order to get radio listings, but never have
observed this problem on my system (admittedly I kept on top of
channels config to make sure everything worked.)

When new DVB channels appear in the normal course of operation, I just
need to ensure that I update the <source>.xmltv file for the DVB
source (either using an existing XMLTVID or creating my own and then
updating the uk_rt channel list) and then add this XMLTVID against the
new channel. New listings then start to appear as normal.

Nick