[mythtv-users] Need help with custom mythtranscode User Job

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 22:32:19 EST 2005

Okay, so I've decided to set up my main PC as a slave backend w/no
tuners.  What I want to do is set up a User Job to transcode selected
programs down to 352x240 MPEG-4 and save them on the slave's local disk
so I can watch them over a VPN at a remote location.  Here's my setup:

Master BE/FE:
Video storage dir:    /var/lib/mythtv/mythtv (local)

Slave BE:
Video storage dir:    /mnt/video (local)
Other: /var/lib/mythtv/mythtv (NFS mounted from Master)

What I want to do is use mythtranscode on the Slave to transcode from
/var/lib/mythtv/mythtv and write the output to its local video storage
dir (/mnt/video).  The problem is the following:

If I give mythtranscode the input filename, it tries to write the output
to the same director (the NFS mount).  This is an 802.11b link and I
want to avoid both reading & writing to the NFS mount.  I want the
output to reside locally on the slave.

Next, I tried changing the mount point of the NFS mount, think the file
could then be streamed and transcoded into the local video storage
directory.  But here I get the message "Mythtranscode is currently
unable to transcode remote files.".

So, any suggestions on how to proceed?  I suppose I could patch
mythtranscode to take an output parameter...

TIA,

JAC