[mythtv-users] Cannot Record VCR

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:50:34 EST 2005

On 14/11/05, Curtis White <soaro77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have my MythTV setup on Fedora 4. I followed the excellent
> instructions by Jarod. Everything is working great. I can record and
> watch shows from DirecTV without any problem. I am using a PVR350 card
> and am using the TV out to my TV. I have DirecTV coming out and going
> into the card (using standard cable). Then I ran composite cables from
> my VCR to the composite inputs on the card. But I don't know how to
> set things up to read that composite input on the card to record the
> VCR.
>
> I really don't want to have to run cable out from the VCR and have to
> swap the cable in on the card back and forth between the VCR and
> DirecTV. I would like to find a way to read the composite inputs on
> the card so I can just switch inputs in MythTV and see the VCR. But
> nothing I try seems to work. I did try setting up a composite input on
> the mythtv-setup but it didn't work. I don't know what device to tell
> it to use.
>
> I've tried doing some searches through the mailing list and haven't
> really come up with a good answer. Maybe I'm just not doing the right
> searches. I don't know. But I would appreciate any help anyone could
> give me on this.

If your DirecTV input is going into the tuner of the card, you should
be able to simply create another video source (using the composite
input and audio inputs on the back of the card) for your VCR as
Mercury has detailed in the thread.

However, if you are using multiple direct inputs (e.g. composite
and/or S-Video) it may be easier and 'cleaner' to get Hauppauge's
additional input connections backplate. This connects to your PVR card
and provides a second set of recordable inputs so you can leave
another device plugged in. You can still only record one source at a
time (the 350 has only one encoder) but you can switch between inputs
easily once they are correctly defined in input connections.

Nick