[mythtv-users] Cannot Record VCR

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:55:29 EST 2005

On 11/14/05, Curtis White <soaro77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have my MythTV setup on Fedora 4. I followed the excellent
> instructions by Jarod. Everything is working great. I can record and
> watch shows from DirecTV without any problem. I am using a PVR350 card
> and am using the TV out to my TV. I have DirecTV coming out and going
> into the card (using standard cable). Then I ran composite cables from
> my VCR to the composite inputs on the card. But I don't know how to
> set things up to read that composite input on the card to record the
> VCR.
>
> I really don't want to have to run cable out from the VCR and have to
> swap the cable in on the card back and forth between the VCR and
> DirecTV. I would like to find a way to read the composite inputs on
> the card so I can just switch inputs in MythTV and see the VCR. But
> nothing I try seems to work. I did try setting up a composite input on
> the mythtv-setup but it didn't work. I don't know what device to tell
> it to use.
>
> I've tried doing some searches through the mailing list and haven't
> really come up with a good answer. Maybe I'm just not doing the right
> searches. I don't know. But I would appreciate any help anyone could
> give me on this.

I have a PVR350, too. In mythtv-setup, I found Composite 0 corresponded to
the composite inputs on the card.

The following may be incomplete, it's from my notes of October 2004 -
thirteen months ago.

In mythtv-setup, I defined a Video Source called VCR, but DID NOT try to get
any lineups for it. Then, in Input Connections, I assigned VCR to Composite
0. I left the Start Channel blank there.

Then, in Channel Editor, I defined a new channel with the Channel Name of
WVCR, assigning the Video Source to VCR. I gave it a unique Call Sign...,
something like MYVCR - don't remember now.

While watching TV on the PVR350, I just hit the "c" key to change inputs on
the card and watch what's playing on the VCR.

To record from the VCR, I use manual scheduling. It's not too hard to play a
tape on the VCR just before or after the scheduled recording starts.

Sorry for the incompleteness, but a little experimenting should get you
closer to being able to have the VCR be "just another channel", so-to-speak.

Good Luck!

--
MM