[mythtv-users] I want to use myth TV, with 5 computers with no live TV - *YET*

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Nov 14 13:10:54 EST 2005

Angel Gabriel wrote:
> Okay, I have a problem.... well, no i don't actually have a problem,
> i'd rather term it a lack of knowledge.
>
> I have 5 machines avalible to me - 2 macs, both G5 flat screens..
> *real sexy* with the ability to both plug into my nice big fat PA
> system... *yes, I have a PA system, because I'm a DJ, and I like to
> hear real bass when watching TV* for sound, and look good from a
> distance playing DVD's - and three PC's all with 14G hard drives, and
> lots of my TV shows on them.
>
> I don't want to watch live TV - I'm thinking of buying a power house
> machine specifically for that after christmas - but i do want to be
> able to connect to a central database, and pick whatever show i want
> to watch, regarless of what machine it resides on.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe, I should install the minimum needed to get
> myth install on a seriously stripped down debian install. Then only
> install the backend parts of mythtv, on all three PC's.
>
> I'm hoping that it's possible to configure one master backend machine,
> and other *slave* backend machines, which allow me to access all my
> films seemlessly - If this is possible, I will be SO greatful if
> someone could point me in the right direction.

Definitely possible, I'm doing it now. But, you could just use NFS and
mount the remote filesystems all onto one master backend. It would
probably be a bit easier that way, in terms of administration (just need
NFS on the slaves, as opposed to many MythTV backends) and you only have
to set it up once. Then the master just streams the files out to the
clients. I personally have a master backend, a slave backend, and a
separate NFS server that serves just videos, and any client can watch
the videos.

Tom