[mythtv-users] SOLVED Mythtv/gentoo hangs when playing live or recorded video

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 06:14:30 EST 2005

On 11/11/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:03:53AM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> > Its a nVirda MX 4400 I have.  Do you recon going to XFree86 is the way
> > forward or did you solve it another way?
> >
> > On 11/11/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> > > My desktop machine started doing that after I upgraded from xfree86 to
> > > xorg.
>
> My recent experiences with Debian and MythTV have been a world of hurt.

The problem was that I was using the basic not nvidia drivers.  Once I
upgraded to the binary nvidia drivers playing pre-recorded tv works
find.  The nice thing about gentoo  is that if  you follow the howtos
carefully things tend to work well.  I was previously using Ubuntu
Debian derivative but failed to get it working and could not find
anyone else who got Ubuntu Breezy working with the Nova-T card.  I
would stick to ubuntu if possible but gentoo is a very good and
enlightening last resort.

Ben

Ben