[mythtv-users] Yet another hardware list

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Nov 13 23:03:27 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 04:29:23PM -0800, Jon Hoyt wrote:
> I know these sort of requests get posted a lot, but I'm looking for
> some feedback on the following list of parts to build a stand-alone
> backend with.

You should check out http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/ to see what others
have used and how they liked it.

> AMD Sempron 64 2600+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model
> SDA2600BXBOX - Retail $64.00

As I understand it, that part will not support cool n quiet operation.
I believe you have to go up to a 3000+ to get that.  Cool n quiet,
with the kernel's cqu frequency scaling enabled, slows the clock when
the cpu load is low, saving power and heat, and allowing your cpu fan
to slow down.  I've got an Athlon 64 3000+ and have frequency scaling
working very well.  The lowest clock speed supported seems to be 1
GHz, though.  I wish I could slow it even further for the times when
nothing's happening and the machine is just acting as a file server.

--
Peter Schachte              A month in the laboratory can often save an hour
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        in the library.