[mythtv-users] 18.1 frontend on OS X (localhost:6543 regardless of mysql.txt)

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Nov 13 20:48:23 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 07:25:13PM -0500, James Howison wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that this is set correctly already (with Mysql
> accessible from the network, and the MasterServerIP set correctly).

What exactly are you seeing when you launch the frontend?  Does it ask
you for your language and settings, or does it fail immediately?

Are you updating the correct mysql.txt file?  MythTV installs several
copies for use at different times.

On my back-end machine I have:
/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
/usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt

On the front-ends I have both of the above PLUS:
/home/live/.mythtv/mysql.txt (on the XBox)
/home/chris/.mythtv/mysql.txt (on the desktop)

Different MythTV applications read different mysql.txt files and they
all have to agree.

Other things to consider:

When you updated your mythconverg access permissions to enable remote
frontends did you specify a particular machine?  If so, then you'll have
to massage the permissions every time you add a machine or change the
hostname or IP address (depending on which was specified).  You can
check the access rights my connecting to the mysql database (as opposed
to mythconverg) and running:
	select * from db;
	select * from host;
	select * from tables_priv;
If you are on a trusted network (ie: no foreign machines can see your
MySQL port) then the easiest way to configure remote access is to
specify "%" as the hostname so that any client can get it in as long as
it has the right password.

Are you running any iptables (firewall) rules on the back-end that might
limit access to the MySQL port from the new machine?

Does your /etc/hosts.[allow|deny] have a MySQL setting that might be
affecting access from the new machine?

If you open a root shell on your new front-end you can test all of the
above simply by doing 'su live -c "mysql mythconverg"' (assuming your
front-end runs as user "live") and if you get anything other than a
MySQL command prompt then your problem is outside of MythTV.