[mythtv-users] 18.1 frontend on OS X (localhost:6543 regardless of mysql.txt)

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Nov 13 18:49:34 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 06:20:03PM -0500, James Howison wrote:
> I can't get a frontend to work on Mac OS X.  Everything is working
> fine on linux and the little mediamvp (love that box :), so I know
> that Myth is setup and remotely accessible, but the OS X frontend
> seems to always want to contact localhost, regardless of the settings
> in the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file.

The local mysql.txt file is only used to tell the front-end client
which database to contact to obtain MythTV configuration settings.  The
address of the back-end service is one of those settings.  The default
back-end address when you install MythTV is set to "127.0.0.1".  This
means that the client will not be able to connect to the MythTV
back-end process unless it's running on the same machine.

To correct the situation, you can either login to the back-end GUI as
root (#include "standard rant about requiring root to run a GUI.h"),
rerun mythtv-setup and specify the back-end's real IP address, or you
can connect to the database using the mysql CLI and update the settings
table directly.  The SQL command would be:

update settings set data="192.168.1.2" where value="MasterServerIP";

Of course you would supply a valid IP address...