[mythtv-users] block of channels show snow, others are fine

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 13 15:37:49 EST 2005

Roger Hanson wrote:

> I have a couple blocks of channels that are snow.  most channels work
> OK, however.
>
> Details:
> analog cable input on PVR-350 card  (Time Warner in Minneapolis, MN)
> slowish PC - P-450 with 256MB RAM
> KnoppMyth install R5V22
>
> Channels channels 2-13 come in fine
> Channels 14-20 are snow
> Channels 21-36 come in fine
> Channels 37-60 are snow
> and lastly, Channels 60+ are OK.

You've got the wrong tuner specified.  If you have a line "options ivtv
tuner=2" (or whatever number), take it out of your mod{probe,ules}.conf.

> In mythtv-setup, I've tried changing the Cable system from 'Default'
> to 'US' to 'US-HRC' and 'Broadcast' with no change (actually my box
> locked up when it was set to 'Broadcast' - still same snow seen.

Not a frequency table problem.

> I've tried fine-tuning a couple channels (though I really don't know
> what I'm doing) and did get different looking snow (squggly lines,
> black bands, etc) but nothing anywhere near resembling a picture.

Not a fine-tuning problem.

> Info:
> mythtv at pvr:~$ dmesg | grep ivtv

This is useless because some of the most important information (all
important information in this case) is from modules used by ivtv (i.e.
the tveeprom and tuner modules).

This is how you should report ivtv initialization information if you
don't feel like copying/pasting from a text editor:

tac /var/log/messages |
sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
        /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
tac

(assuming your log is /var/log/messages) or

dmesg | tac |
sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
        /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
tac

Mike