[mythtv-users] Capturing 5.1 audio

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 11:03:45 EST 2005

On Saturday 12 November 2005 23:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/12/05 19:55, Nathan Allen Stratton wrote:
> >On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >>Nope.  ATSC (US high-definition TV) is broadcast already encoded using
> >>the MPEG-2 system.  The audio is encoded in an AC-3 stream within the
> >>transport stream.  So, it's just there.
> >
> >Hmm so since I setup the mp3 audio encoding on the video profiles I would
> >trash the AC-3 stream off my hdtv card. Yet, if I dont compress audio my
> >hdtv card audio will be AC-3, but I will suck up huge space with the 44K
> >audio off my 2 plextor boxes.
>
> AIUI, those parameters (and bitrate, etc.) of the profile are not used
> for HDTV capture cards since the stream is just dumped to disk.  So, you
> can set the audio encoding to whatever you'd like.
>
> Mike

how much CPU would it take to capture and encode video from a non-PVR capture
card so that it can be muxed with the audio from a soundcard? I ask because I
happen to have an older WinTV card laying around. I'd even be willing to
accept a lossless capture format to allow for easy live TV with AC3, with the
ability to convert to XviD later if I decided to keep the recording.

Steve