[mythtv-users] Capturing 5.1 audio

John DiLorenzo jdilorenzo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:28:22 EST 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm planning my myth setup and I'm a little confused about how to handle
capturing and playing back surround sound. Here's the plan so far:

Backend/frontend with a single pvr-150 (for now) and a Geforce MX460.

The backend will be connected to a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box. The
only digital audio out is a digital coax. I have a tuner that will accept an
optical input.

It's clear that I need a sound card with an optical out to output audio to
the receiver, but how do I get 5.1 captured in the first place?

Do I:

1. Get a soundcard with both coax and optical ports and somehow configure
coax for input and optical for output?

2. If I rely on the pvr-150 for capturing the audio by using coax cable from
the digital tuner to the 150, will it capture in 5.1? If so, would I be
sacrificing video quality by not using s-video?

3. Or am I missing something else?

Thanks,

-John