AW: [mythtv-users] Aspect ratio changes 16:9 to 4:3 using mythwebburn

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 11 18:04:06 EST 2005

Martin Bene wrote:

>DVB-T doesn't have anything to do with aspect ratio; this can still vary
>between programs; some might be 4:3 and others 16:9.

Hmmm, but a 4:3 recording plays back with the same vertical height as
the 16:9, just with a black border all around.  I thought this meant it
is really a 16:9 with black added left and right.

>Older versions of mythburn used to have all titles on a DVD in a single
>title set, so the whole DVD could only be either 4:3 or 16:9. one of the
>updates I did (and which should be in current CVS) was to reorganise the
>DVD layout so aspect ratio is defined per title.

That would be great.  I am only putting one show on the DVD at the
current time though.

>>Does anyone know what is going wrong?  Does mythburn assume 4:3?
>>

>No.
>
>Info about the aspect ratio is part of the mpeg2 stream recorded via
>DVB. The aspect ratio for a title is set by dvdauthor by looking at the
>beginning of each title. So, if your recording begins a bit early and
>the first frames are 4:3, the whole title is set to 4:3 for the DVD.

Well actually, the first one I tried, starts in 16:9. So maybe it isn't
detecting it correctly for me.

Also, in the log I see this from dvdauthor

WARN: attempt to update aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9; skipping