[mythtv-users] native resolution vs 1080i for HDTV and SD on1280x768 lcd?

mrwester mrwester at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:52:26 EST 2005

> I'm not sure what you mean by native resolutions. Do you mean change the
> resolution depending on what you're watching?
> Is that possible in Myth? Even if that was possible, only CRT's support
> all native resolutions - all fixed pixel displays, such as
> your 30" LCD will do their own conversion, either up or down. I would
> suggest outputting at whatever your TV supports, which sounds like it's
> probably 1280x720.
> I watch both SD and HD content useing my Radeon 9600 SE's DVI connection
> straight the the HDMI input.
> Resolution is set at 1280x720 (matches my TV) and all content gets scaled
> automatically by Myth. All signals looks great.

By native resolution, I mean the actual physical resolution of the LCD.
Searching the list for "native resolution" suggests to me that running the
custom modeline for 1280x768- which is the native resolution for my panel is
the best I can do, and therefore the correct choice. I could input 600x800,
and let the TV scale to 1280x768, OR I can use a modeline to output
1280x768p before it gets to the TV and not have the TV do the scaling.
Either way, I still need to deinterlace before sending to the tv via DVI.
Alternatively, I could input 1920 X 1080 interlaced (via transcoder box or
nvidia 6XXX with HD component dongle) and let the TV do the scaling down and
deinterlacing. I could in theory maximize my HDTV performace by using 720p,
but then I would have to deinterlace the SD files from my PVR-X50s. Since I
would be watching more SD than HD content, I guess the 1080i is the way to
go.

I suppose what I really need to do is confirm that the stutter and
blockiness I'm seeing with trying to output 720x480 interlaced (480i) which
is then deinterlaced by mythtv to my progressive LCD isindeed the
deinterlacing process in mythtv. As it sits, it appears that the TV can
handle deinterlacing better than my mythtv computer.

Can anyone confirm this logic? thanks...