[mythtv-users] Plextor ConvertX - Dropped frames watching live tv

Steven Sluter ssluter at neconstruction.com
Thu Nov 10 13:01:25 EST 2005

I'm running Myth-tv 0.18.1 on an Athlon 800 w/256MB ram.  My video card is
an Nvidia FX5200 pci card with Nvidia driver v. 7667.  OS is Fedora Core 4,
with kernel 2.6.13.  Hard drive is a 40GB 7200 RPM IDE drive w/ DMA enabled.
The ConvertX is hooked up to a USB-2 card.

When watching live tv, I notice a slight stutter every 5-8 seconds -- not
easily noticed, but enough to be annoying.  I have not tried recording a
show for later playback.

One thing I've noticed is that the Nvidia linux driver doesnt seem to be
entirely stable (The computer will lock up if I try and run alsamixer in an
xterm).  All other 7xxx series drivers were completely unusable, causing the
computer to experience frequent lock-ups.

I think I've ruled out the hard drive as the culprit.  Any ideas?