[mythtv-users] Proliant server as a backend...

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Nov 10 12:55:39 EST 2005

>Hi all,
>
>Would the following be acceptable as a media/tuner backend server multiple
>(4 or more) frontends...
>
>Proliant 8500r
>Quad PIII Xeon 700/2MB CPU's
>2GB Ram;
>2 x 1000SX Fiber NIC;
>1 x Dual 10/100 backup NIC
>4 x 73GB U160 SCSI drives, RAID (0/1/5);
>2 x PVR250 PAL Tuners;
>
>All PCI slots are 64bit and the NIC's will be in 66mhz slots.
>
>I can chuck a spare SB Live card w/digital/optical 5.1 in, as well as
>another couple of tuner cards (either PVR250's or DVB cards).
>I may be able to add another 4 CPU's (if I can find them) if that would
>help...

Probably would be awesome, but you better check PCI slot compatibilty with
your tuner cards and audio cards, as many servers supply different
speeds AND voltages to the PCI slots than your typical consumer-style
PCI expansion cards support. Some cards may fit and not work,
and other cards just won't fit at all, due to the PCI voltage-keyed slots.