[mythtv-users] USB on the cable box

Joe Huffner huffner at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 08:45:29 EST 2005

--- Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> > So, presumably, you want to hook up a
> usb-to-serial cable from your PC
> > serial port to the usb port of the cable box. The
> issue is that the
> > cable box expects to be the usb host and so does a
> PC, whereas the
> > keyboard is the usb "client". I'm not sure how a
> usb-to-serial adapter
> > presents itself to another usb host, but if it's
> only designed to work
> > with usb clients, I'd guess that a driver would
> have to be written to
> > emulate a usb client through the serial port, if
> it's even possible.
>

> The PC expects to be a usb host if you plug a USB
> device into it. a
> Usb->serial adapter will only look like a usb device
> on the usb side -
> the serial side will look like nothing but a serial
> cable. If the cable box
> is
> designed to be the usb host and will take incoming
> commands from a
> usb->serial
> adapter, it sounds like it will work (I will be
> trying the same thing on my
> satellite
> STB once I get my usb->serial adapter in the mail).
>
> That would be ideal, and would certainly be an
> inexpensive option. The
> > only box I came across that actually says it
> emulates a usb kbd from
> > either usb or serial connection to the PC host is
> a couple hundred
> > bucks.
> >
> > I'll look into how it works, but a "port"
> converter may just connect the
> > wires correctly to allow communications.
>

> yeah, if the port converter works, that's def the
> way to go. It's around $9
> or $10 for
> one of those converters if you shop around online.

See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/79805?search_string=protocol%20converter;#79805

The problem is converting to USB keyboard signals.
What do you convert "45" to when you want to change to
channel 45? It is not as simple as just echoing "45"
to the serial port. You will still need something to
convert the serial port output to USB keyboard
signals. So either a hardware convertor or some
software to convert input to USB Keyboard signals will
be needed.