[mythtv-users] USB on the cable box

Erik Karlin e_karlin at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 19:16:20 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:18:17PM -0500, Michael Bochynski wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:25 -0500, Erik Karlin wrote:

> > > Hmm... I actually thing that it should be easy. This USB port is
> > > designed to be used by USB transmitter/receiver pair, which you can buy
> > > from Scientific Atlanta.
> >
> > are you talking about a USB IR xmit/rcv device? Wouldn't the cable box
> > itself already have an IR receiver?
>

> Built-in receiver, yes. This was just an example, I want to use USB port
> (and cable) to send signals from my PC directly
>

> > My cable box has a usb port that will take a USB keyboard to control the
> > channel changes. I guessed that was what you were referring to.
>

> My cable box, as I mentioned above, has USB port for xmitter/receiver.
> not that I want to connect those devices,
>

> > > This means that this port is designed to receive codes from remote.
> > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it matter what is on the other end of
> > > USB cable as long as correct codes are being sent? Hence, whether it's a
> > > IR receiver or a PC with Myth, it shouldn't matter. Unless I got it
> > > wrong :)
> >
> > I've used the www.irblaster.info connected to my serial port to try and
> > control my cable box. It sounds like that's what you're trying to do
> > over a USB connection on your PC? I figured you really wanted to go
> > USB-to-USB. My posts in the thread I linked above, along with the older
> > thread I posted there talk about usb<->usb problems.
>

> That's the thing. I don't want to use any blasters, since I can use USB
> port. I was actually thinking about using serial-to-USB cable, connect
> it to the box and voila ! My question is whether I need to use lirc or
> something similar?
>
> Michael

So, presumably, you want to hook up a usb-to-serial cable from your PC
serial port to the usb port of the cable box. The issue is that the
cable box expects to be the usb host and so does a PC, whereas the
keyboard is the usb "client". I'm not sure how a usb-to-serial adapter
presents itself to another usb host, but if it's only designed to work
with usb clients, I'd guess that a driver would have to be written to
emulate a usb client through the serial port, if it's even possible.

That would be ideal, and would certainly be an inexpensive option. The
only box I came across that actually says it emulates a usb kbd from
either usb or serial connection to the PC host is a couple hundred
bucks.

I'll look into how it works, but a "port" converter may just connect the
wires correctly to allow communications.