[mythtv-users] USB on the cable box

Michael Bochynski mbochynski at audiumcorp.com
Wed Nov 9 13:04:42 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 12:36 -0500, Erik Karlin wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:54:29AM -0500, Michael Bochynski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to use USB port on my cable box (Scientific Atlanta 2100) for
> > Myth TV to change channels. According to SC2100 this port is designed to
> > be used for remote.
> >
> > My question is, if I get usb-to-serial cable, do I still have to install
> > lirc to change channels? Can I use only those scripts in
> > mythtv/contrib ?
> >
> > Note that I don't need receiver configured using lirc, since I have
> > wireless (IR) keyboard on PS2. I've learned my remote a bunch of
> > keypresses, and I don't have to install anything on the OS side. :)
> >
> > Michael
>
> I'm not sure it'll be that easy:

Hmm... I actually thing that it should be easy. This USB port is
designed to be used by USB transmitter/receiver pair, which you can buy
from Scientific Atlanta.

This means that this port is designed to receive codes from remote.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it matter what is on the other end of
USB cable as long as correct codes are being sent? Hence, whether it's a
IR receiver or a PC with Myth, it shouldn't matter. Unless I got it
wrong :)

Note that I don't need to control several boxes, as described in the
thread you linked to, I have one box only and I already took care about
the receiver part for Mythtv. I only need to send commands from Mythtv
to my cable box ... :)

Michael