[mythtv-users] Laptop tuner card

Abre Chase abre.chase at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:03:09 EST 2005

I'm using the Plextor on an old P3-500 and the motherboard is a total
piece of crap (Acer).  I've got 384MB RAM.  Suprisingly, it all works
really well.  Since the Plextor does hardware encoding, you don't need
too much horsepower.

I did upgrade my video card to an nvidia 5200 ($35), which is probably
not an option on your laptop.  I'm not sure how much its really
helping me since its on an AGP 1 slot.

MPEG4 is working great with the Myth frontend.
LiveTV/Recording/Playback all work great.  I'm running the frontend on
the same underpowered machine as the backend.  It is a little slow to
scroll the program guide, but that may be a remote control/lirc
latency issue.

I can't get the xbmcmythtv frontend on the xbox to play the mpeg4
files though.  Both xbmc and xbmcmythtv are in active development - so
I may have an unstable build of either.

Overall, my experience with using the Plextor unit with MythTV has
been very good.

- Abre