[mythtv-users] Laptop tuner card

Brandon Sherman mechcozmo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 10:24:32 EST 2005

Interesting...
So, a USB 2.0 card (would also allow a card reader to work for
photos, etc.) and the Plextor?

> MythTV supports the Plextor out of the box...so to speak.  One
> limitation I've found is that although the unit can natively encode
> mpeg2, MythTV only supports mpeg4 on the Plextor.  In my case, I've
> been trying to setup xbmcmythtv as a frontend, but it doesn't appear
> to work so well with mpeg4.

The laptop is a Pentium III 500 MHz with some amount of RAM but
easily upgradeable to 512MB.  From reading the various websites, it
seems like a P-III is the bare-bones minimum for a basic T.V. card
without hardware encoder support.  I think that the MPEG-4 only will
be ok, but you aren't clear as to how well it works with MPEG-4.  Is
it xbmcmythtv with the problems or is the normal frontend also
slightly buggy?

The laptop has video-out, which should work fine considering it just
mirrors the internal display which is slightly... not working.  Hence
this project.

If I have any more questions, you can be pretty sure that I'll be
asking them on the mailing list here or in some forum somewhere.
N00bie is I.

Thanks everyone,
Brandon