[mythtv-users] Laptop tuner card

Abre Chase abre.chase at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 09:08:41 EST 2005

I've been using the Plextor ConvertX with Myth.  It does have linux
drivers.  I've been using it with Suse 9.3.

http://oss.wischip.com/

MythTV supports the Plextor out of the box...so to speak.  One
limitation I've found is that although the unit can natively encode
mpeg2, MythTV only supports mpeg4 on the Plextor.  In my case, I've
been trying to setup xbmcmythtv as a frontend, but it doesn't appear
to work so well with mpeg4.

All in all, the Plextor unit has been great.  The developer at WIS
actively monitors the divx device forums, so help is available when
you stumble a bit.

http://forums.divx.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/996105602

I'm not currently using it with a laptop, but I've got a friend who
does.  If your laptop doesn't support USB 2.0, you can just throw a
PCMCIA card in there.

I picked up my Plextor unit on ebay for about $100 used.

- Abre