[mythtv-users] FC4, Multiple Tuner (PVR-250, PVR-350) Help with sound config

Rod rod451 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 8 22:01:14 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:46:06AM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 01:14, Rod wrote:
>

> > It appears so but I'm still not sure how to fix this.  I tried
> > unloading/loading both the msp3400 and msp3400-ivtv with no success.
> > The sound output still keeps switching from the 250 to the 350 but I
> > cannot get sound out of both for the same module configuration.
> >
> > > I am not an FC expert (have never liked the RedHat distro's), so can't
> > > tell you how to remove the alias
> >
> > Neither am I.  I'm using Fedora because there are instructions
> > available.  I would use a different distro if it might prove easier to
> > configure, get working and maintain.
> >
> > Is a PVR-250/350 combination known to work?
>
> I have two systems with that combination of cards working just fine.
> Masterbackend is using FC3 the slave backend is using FC4.
>
> I use the PVR-350 for output to the TV.  I am using Mythtv 18.1 on both
> systems (one acts as a master backend/frontend).   I currently am using
> ivtv 0.3.7k on the slave and 0.3.2d on the masterbackend.

OK, good to hear.  This is what I am trying to do.

> Need to upgrade those but have not had any significant problems with
> those ivtv versions.  (did have issues with a PVR-500 card but that is
> not being used currently.)
>

> What is not clear (maybe I missed it in your earlier posts) is your
> statement "The sound output still keeps switching from the 250 to the
> 350 but I cannot get sound out of both for the same module
> configuration."

With the msp3400.ko renamed as in Jarrod's guide, I will get sound (from
the sound card) and video from the PVR-250.  I get video (but no sound
from the card) from the PVR-350.  When the msp3400.ko is left as is, I
get sound and video from the PVR-350 but only video from the PVR-250 and
nothing from the sound card.

> As far as I know there is not sound output on the PVR-250 card.

Yes, but I don't get it as part of the video stream either.

> I have the following in my modprob.conf file on the FC4 system:
>
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
> alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
> alias tuner tuner-ivtv
> alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe
> ivtv-fb
> # lirc stuff
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> lirc_i2c
>
> The alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv was added based on Jarod's guide.  Not
> sure if you mentioned that previously or not.

Thanks for details on your modprobe.conf.  Mine if very similar although
I don't have the tuner-ivtv alias.  I will try configuring mine them
same and see what happens.  If there is no joy, than it looks like I
need to look more into configuring ivtv and this may not be the best
list for getting answers.

Thanks again for the info.