[mythtv-users] Absolute NEWBIE, question about Linux

Leigh Saunderson lsaunderson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 05:13:40 EST 2005

Aaron wrote:

> Hi all.  I just joined this mailing list about 2 days ago, and have
> been reading almost every message for tips and tricks.  I am
> completely new to the MythTV scene and am very interested in becoming
> a part of the growing community.  One thing that I have noticed in the
> messages and on the increasing number of websites is that it seems to
> require quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to Linux.  I have been
> a dedicated PC/Windows guy since Windows 3.1 and the day's of DOS.
> However, I don't really know anything about Linux and the like.

>   I'm not a slow learner, and have never taken any courses to learn
> any of this.  I'm a self-taught computer fanatic/hobbyist so I'm not
> scared to learn something new.  I'm just curious how much into Linux I
> should read about and play with to get a good system up and running.

You sound very similarly backgrounded to myself , tho I started
tinkering with linux a good 6 or 7 years ago now, but also came from
purely windows based work (aside from a very small bit of UN*X work at
Polytechnic).
I'd say the most important thing you've said there is..
"I'm not a slow learner, and have never taken any courses to learn any
of this.  I'm a self-taught computer fanatic/hobbyist so I'm not scared
to learn something new"

Also you actually know what DOS is (you'd be suprised how many IT people
I come across who go white at the sight of a command line!)

That sounds like the mentality you need. There are a LOT of VERY helpful
websites and people out there that support the linux community, just as
long as you actually try and look for solutions yourself and don't want
it given to you on a plate. Personally I get some sort of sick enjoyment
out of gettings things to work, especially if there have been problems
along the way   :-)

As far as training, I think I'd just start by installing linux and
'playing' with it, combined with numerous google searches (so get your
internet access working on the linux box a a first task if it doesn't
just work out of the box).
To get back on topic, to get a Myth box up and running with the minimum
of linux knowledge, I think you might be better installing Fedora Core 4
and using Jarod's superb How-To guide ( http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/ ) -
it's absolutely first class and you probably just follow it word for
word unless you're unlucky enough to hit a weird problem, and if you do
then this list contains a wealth of info.
It's worth the effort I feel both for getting a Myth box up and running,
and more generally for getting 'into' Linux.
welcome to the community!