[mythtv-users] Tivo/Yahoo deal - How convenient!

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 13:43:54 EST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 12:37, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> [...]

Ah, sorry... I was thinking like a normal person; I forgot I'm supposed
to be thinking like a greedy corporation :-)

Still, you have to admit, they could supply a web interface to the
set-top box and *still* harvest your viewing habits remotely by having
the box "phone home" periodically.  The security & technical issues
involved serve as additional reasons why a corporation would not want
to invest in developing a direct web interface.  Plus, the ROI would be
minimal... after all, how many 'average' consumers have a static IP (or
a dynamic DNS setup) to be able to access their box from the 'net?  How
many more are still on dialup or some other not-always-on connection?
There's just no benefit in it for them.  The server-side implementation
is cheaper and less risky for them all around.

Of course, the point William made still holds... that's why we love OSS
& MythTV, because we can develop these features without having to worry
about ROI, profit, cost, or any other kind of commercial concern.

-JAC