[mythtv-users] gentoo advice please

Tom th.tom at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 06:47:56 EST 2005

Am Montag, 7. November 2005 12:00 schrieb Ben Edwards:
> On 11/7/05, Tom <th.tom at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > maybe a stupid question: Do you compile the video4linux stuff for that
> > card?
> > For my card (and gentoo), it was not added, so I have to configure the
> > kernel
> > for that and recompile it.
>
> Not a stupid question atall. I am totaly new to gentoo and alough I have
> compiled kernels before I have not added patches or compiled drivers. So I
> guess the answer is no. Previously when trying to get mythtv working with
> other distros I have got in a situation when the only card type I could
> select from mythsetup was video4linux (i.e. I could not select DVB). This
> did not give me the ability to do a scan so I figure I need some dvb stuff.

Maybe someone knows a resource for that, but for me (from a user perspective),
I added everything, which was under video4linux and sounds like dvb-t (or
better just add everything as modules). I experienced, that there are a lot
of modules, which must be loaded to work with dvb-t cards (there is not only
a special card driver, but a driver for the tuner etc).

I think, it would not break anything, if you compile more modules, than you
need. You will only have a bit more time having a nice cup of hot coffee ;-)

> on gentoo just do
>
> > # genkernel --menuconfig all
>
> Exelent, I was wondering if there was a half way house between 'genkernel
> all' and a manual kernel build. BTW I take it I should be using coldplug?

Sorry, I'm no expert on that issue (don't know nothing about
coldplug/hotplug). If you mean it will be loaded on startup: Yes you don't
have to worry about to "modprobe" them.

Tom