[mythtv-users] gentoo advice please

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Nov 7 05:54:52 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 11:26 +0100, Tom wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> maybe a stupid question: Do you compile the video4linux stuff for that card?
> For my card (and gentoo), it was not added, so I have to configure the kernel
> for that and recompile it.
>
> on gentoo just do
>
> # genkernel --menuconfig all

You may want to just configure the kernel yourself.

1.) make menuconfig
Configure everything.  If you have an old .config around in that
directory even better, since, hopefully some of the existing choices are
good.

2.) make all modules_install
Wait

3.) mount /boot
mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.orig

3.) cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
	[change to the i386 as needed.]

is more or less how I handle generic kernels..  Of course you have to
have grub or whatever setup to expect that, but that is

In particular make sure the following is in your kernel, and not as a
module.
	a) The root file system and the boot file system.
	b) The processor type and optimizations.
	c) NFS support
	d) Optionally if your booting from a network card you have to select
those options as well..

Most other things can be modules, although if your making a custom
kernel, you will find it quicker to compile to, for instance, deselect
all 10/100 network card options except the one you are using.

In general I tend to recommend compiling in network card drivers.  Sound
card can go either way.  Special drivers for capture cards might be
better off to leave as modules.  I remember having an issue getting an
older capture card to work with the hauppage cards, but I don't remember
what I did to fix it, since keeping the old card working didn't matter
to me.