[mythtv-users] Re: DVB-S Users: Anyone have C-band?

Eric Hattemer eric at hattenator.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 6 19:21:49 EST 2005

Mike Frisch wrote:

> There are lots of channels, but it isn't cable-type programming.  You
> are *not* going to get desirable things like US networks, HBO, ESPN,
> etc.  If that's what you're after, then I'd recommend not going any
> further.  Most of the programming on DVB-S is ethnic or temporary
> (for news uplinks, special events, etc).  There is no EPG information
> either, so MythTV integration will be spotty at best.

I'm completely new to the whole concept of DVB, but can you explain this
site: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html ?  They list a
bunch of quality stations (not all are on the front page).  If cable
providers can decode them, why can't normal people?  I'm very lost as to
DVB US works.  I've heard conflicting reports, but don't personally know
anyone who's ever experimented with it.

-Eric Hattemer