[mythtv-users] Dumb Ethernet Question on Debian

Darryl Ross spam at afoyi.com
Sun Nov 6 15:37:41 EST 2005

cossaboon.mythtv at mac.com wrote:
> Anyone know how to make this STICK so it is inplace after reboot :(

# /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
         address 172.17.33.230
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         gateway 172.17.33.254
         up ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off

You might not want to use 1000 :) And you need to also make sure that
you have ethtools installed.

>> cossaboon.mythtv at mac.com wrote:
>>> Where do you set the duplex and speed of your NIC in Debian (or  Linux).
>>>
>>> My server is in half duplex (as I have collisions showing in
>>> ifconfig) and my through put sucks ((1.2 gig file is taking 60  hours!)

How many collisions are you getting? You would have to be having
literally millions of them for a 1.2Gb to take almost 3 days! I would
expect that on a 100Mbps network that would take almost exactly 2.5
minutes (~8MB/s).

Regards
Darryl