[mythtv-users] Frontend for home theater

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Nov 5 23:52:03 EST 2005

On 11/4/2005 5:18 PM Michael Tiller wrote:

> Here are a few questions:

[snip]

> 5) I'd like this to be as cheap as possible (WAF).  If I'm just using
> the frontend to playback DVDs and programs recorded on a backend, I
> assume I can get by with some pretty low end specs.  Since I only need
> to do playback, I suppose a PIII could probably fit the bill although
> I suspect that might actually be hard to find.  I have this thought in
> my head that someday I'll have HD quality recordings on my backend.
> What does it take to get HDTV playback (only) for a frontend.  The
> MythTV site mentions some kind of NVIDIA acceleration?  I probably
> can't afford to protect for this capability but it doesn' t hurt to at
> least understand the tradeoff.

 From what I've gathered reading this list for the past 9 months, it's
the frontend that needs the horsepower unless the backend is encoding
real time. Then they both need horsepower.   However with the PVR-x50
cards and their built-in hardware encoders, very few boxes are encoding
real-time using their CPU.  And then with ATSC signal, it is already
digital and is just streamed to disk.  The only time a backend uses much
horse power is during commercial flagging or transcoding.  But since
neither is real time, it just becomes a matter of how long you want to
wait.  :)

On the other hand, the frontend needs to be fairly powerful to decode
ATSC signals and display them real time.  It seems the estimates I've
seen are for a minimum of 2ghz with 2.5 being more acceptable.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse