[mythtv-users] Can't see whole picture on playback or live TV

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sat Nov 5 02:21:34 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 11/05/05 01:12, ffrr wrote:
>
> Overscan settings for the NVIDIA cards only apply to TV out.

That settles that then,t hanks.

> However, if you're saying that you're losing the top and bottom of
> your picture when a 16:9 video is displayed letterboxed in Myth, then
> overscan isn't your problem.  I.e., you have an image:
>
> ---------------------------------
> |            (black)            |
> |-------------------------------|
> |                               |
> |                               |
> |                               |
> |                               |
> |                               |
> |                               |
> |-------------------------------|
> |            (black)            |    ---------------------------------
>
> If overscan were the problem, the black would be appearing off screen
> because Myth is drawing the black as well as the image, and the video
> would simply be "tall and skinny" (assuming your horizontal overscan
> is set correctly).

I ran a test just now.  I left a window open on the desktop, and also
started up mythfrontend and started a recording playing.   I then
<alt-tab>ed to bring the other window to the top. I can move that window
all over the screen, even above and below the myth video into the black
area, and the window's contents remain visible. So, yes, myth is drawing
the black, and too much of it :-)

Doesn't this indicate the problem is within Myth somewhere?

> Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem may be.

I appreciate the input so far.  What you mentioned above seems to have
advanced my understanding of the problem anyway.

> Does it do this on *all* your recordings or even all your 16:9
> recordings?  What about 4:3 recordings?  Are they cut off?

Yes, it seems all playback is effected.