[mythtv-users] Frontend for home theater

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 01:58:41 EST 2005

> > 4) I've got a fairly nice 5.1 receiver plus speakers.  Anything special I
> > need to hook that up to a computer?  If I play a DVD, will it send a
> > pro-logic encoded signal over normal "line out" or do I need to have a sound
> > card that can split it up locally and then send out all the signals
> > separately?  I may just skip the 5.1 for now use simulated surround sound.
>
> I do too, well 6.1 but close enough ;)  I have recently been looking
> at the ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Turtle-Beach-Riviera-Six-Channel-PCI-Sound-Card-RIVERA-/sem/rpsm/oid/118099/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
> ) which I understand has an optical (toslink) connector for digital
> out to your reciever.  Supposedly works great with Linux.  Otherwise,
> for now I just use analog out and simulate surround, sounds good
> enough for now...

I only want to add that I've got a Riviera -- the sound is a heck of a
lot better than the AC97 sound was. I have it running on 4 of the six
channels (front and rear through separate amps -- front through a
stereo, rear through my TV's amp with rear-mounted speakers). I don't
have a center speaker or a subwoofer, and have never tested the
SPD/IF, but I can testify that at $30, the Riviera is a good deal.

I bought it (exchanged it) after being unable to get a SB Audigy
24-bit working consistently under Linux.

The Riviera is a good, cheap solution for 5.1 in Linux.