[mythtv-users] Can't see whole picture on playback or live TV

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:42:51 EST 2005

On 05/11/05, ffrr <ffrr at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>
> >On 04/11/05, ffrr <ffrr at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> >

> >>Initially, the bottom 10% or more is missing, a bit too much to ignore.
> >>I tried adjusting the overscan/underscan in the playback setup section,
> >>but it doesn't seem to do what I expected. When I set it to about 10%,
> >>the top and bottom 5% or more of the picture are missing.  In other
> >>words, making the overscan positive, makes the missing bits symetrical
> >>but doesn't really get me to see any more.
> >>
> >>I should mention that this is a widescreen picture I am looking at, on a
> >>4:3 TV.  So there is ample room (black space) above and below the
> >>picture on the actual TV screen.  I just can't get it to show it.
> >>

> >Are you able to adjust the overscan settings in your video card setup
> >(aside from mythfrontend)? Making the adjustments in your xorg.conf
> >may help.
> >
> OK, I will research how to do this. I don't believe I have edited
> xorg.conf directly before. I just took a quick look and didn't see any
> overscan settings mentioned.  Are there commands to add, or do you mean
> I should adjust the modeline (something else I haven't tried before).

You needn't have to directly edit the config files if your video
drivers provide their own graphical configuration tool. Using my ATI
driver tool, as was able to adjust overscan to make the output centred
on my TV. When I checked the xorg.conf file, it had added the overscan
commands which were not present before.

You shouldn't need to specify a modeline, although many users do to
get total control over the output. Because you say your desktop and
MythTV GUI are OK, are you changing resolution when playing video?

> Actually I am confused about what controls what here, because I had an
> idea that a file called XF86Config-4 or something like that, defined how
> the X system worked.

XFree uses XF86Config-4. X.org uses xorg.conf with links to provide
backwards compat with XFree.

Nick