AW: [mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Fri Nov 4 19:29:45 EST 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:38:05 -0500
Myth Lists <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> Ok, I exagerated the amount of time a bit :)  But even over night is
> unacceptable to me given the 'little' performance improvement you get.

The performance "improvement" is pretty much a myth (no pun intended).
The beauty of gentoo is in it's package management and flexibility. The
conventional wisdom at present seem to be that you might notice a
performance improvement on very low end hardware, but on modern
hardware the performance difference alone is not worth a pinch of s***.

portage and the ebuild system are very lfexible and IMHO ideal for a
moderately experienced linux user to build a myth box with. Its not a
religious war though.

> It took me about half an hour to install a functional Debian (or
> variant) install with Gnome, etc.  When I installed Gentoo on the same
> box, I saw little to no performance improvements.  Personally, its not
> worth it -- If I want to use something bleeding edge, then I will
> compile it.  Otherwise the packages put out by Debian work just fine for me.

Debian also has good package management, although I don't know how well
it goes on compiling with options other than the defaults provided by
the debian packagers.