[mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Fri Nov 4 19:22:50 EST 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:26:17 -0500
Myth Lists <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> A little bit of time?  Don't you mean alot of time compiling?  I have
> tried Gentoo and the compiling of *everything* takes forever.  I have
> yet to find a pre-compiled install that at least gets me going with the
> basic xwindows, gnome and/or KDE.  I don't mind compiling some things,
> but even on my P4-3GhzHT, it would have taken several DAYS to compile
> KDE and its tools -- Have I missed something or do they have
> pre-compiled packages hiding somewhere??

You have missed two things:

1. the precompiled bianries available from gentoo that give you kde,
gnome or (IIRC) xfce going in more or less the same time as installing
the equivalent packages on any other distro.

2. kde/gnome is not needed on a myth system, overkill! save your disk
space for tv programs :-)