[mythtv-users] Re: LVM and a new hard drive

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 02:05:27 EST 2005

On 11/3/05, Joshua Fechner <phekno at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if I don't want to save any of the data on the 20GB drive? Should I
> just forget that command? Excuse my noobness but I have never worked with
> LVM (except in using DiskDruid). I am comfortable with fdisk. Anyway, do I
> fdisk the 80GB and tell fdisk that it's an LVM physical volume, format it
> using jfs, and just lvextend? I understand most of that, but what's the jfs
> formatting command? Thanks for your quick response and any future help.
>  Phekno

If you want to preserve the LVM VG you should do as mitch recommends. If
you're using the entire 80GB disk then just use the whole disk rather than a
partition as a PV (ie. /dev/hdc instead of /dev/hdc1).

Add 80GB to computer
Run pvcreate on the 80GB device
Run vgextend to add the 80GB device to the existing LVM VG
Run pvmove to migrate LVM off 20GB drive
Run lvextend to resize a logical voolume if you want to make it bigger
extend the jfs filesystem on the logical volume
Remove the hard disk from the system

--
Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>