[mythtv-users] RE: Video iPod

Michael Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Thu Nov 3 11:41:31 EST 2005

Having just bought a new iPod, this is a killer feature that should
be implemented.  I can and will help with coding.  I figured it could
be part of the transcoding code already, and add a new transcoding
setting for mpeg-4 (that works with the video iPod - no need to use H.
234 which may be iffy on Linux).  We would need to transcode it down
to maybe 400kbps, 320x240, and it should work just fine.  So since
you can already set up transcoding automagically, it would mean these
steps, in think:

1) Add a per-scheduled recording transcode option so you can set your
particular video to always dump out the newer iPod-compatible MP4.
For example, I may want all eps in my recording profile for
"Battlestar Galactica" to automagically convert, but not all my other
recording schedules.

2) Add a small post-process step to copy the resultant file somewhere
(a web server, so maybe just use a NFS or SMB solution with mounted
drives for now).

3) Add another post-process step to then update an RSS feed file,
again on a web server or just locally via NFS or SMB share.

4) It'd be cool to then add a button in mythweb next to each
recording schedule entry so you can "subscribe" to a show and it
would set all this up and get the right RSS url right into iTunes.
How cool would that be?

I think that's it in a nutshell.  Can we iterate on a good list of
objectives so we can break up the work and get started?  I'm really
excited about this.

-Mike