[mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 3 11:11:13 EST 2005

Myth Lists wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> I'm a Gentoo user...
>>
>> I have Gentoo running two backend server, 4 frontend only boxes, and a
>> couple more PCs where I occasionally watch TV. I run Celeron, P4-HT,
>> Athlon and AMD64 systems. They all work great.
>>
>> I've been using Gentoo for a couple of years now. It's great never
>> having to make the FC1/FC2/FC3/FC4/FC5/FC6 jumps. Gentoo boxes are
>> always s up to date as you want them to be. No worrying about where
>> the next RPM is coming from. You just build code every so often.
>>
>> NOTE: I am not a computer scientist. I am not an IT guy. I do not
>> program. I can run Gentoo and so can anyone willing to invest a little
>> bit of time to learn how the system works. It's very a solid
>> environment with relatively few wrinkles.
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> A little bit of time?  Don't you mean alot of time compiling?  I have
> tried Gentoo and the compiling of *everything* takes forever.  I have
> yet to find a pre-compiled install that at least gets me going with
> the basic xwindows, gnome and/or KDE.  I don't mind compiling some
> things, but even on my P4-3GhzHT, it would have taken several DAYS to
> compile KDE and its tools -- Have I missed something or do they have
> pre-compiled packages hiding somewhere??
>
> Norm

My mythtv setup and desktop both run gentoo.  Been running the same
install for a couple years for the myth box a little longer for the desktop.
I don't know how you have your system setup, but it doesn't take DAYS to
compile KDE and it's tools.  It takes my Athlon 2200+ about 5 hrs.
Which I'll admit is a long time, but no need to exaggerate.  For
compiles like KDE I let it run overnight.  How often do you upgrade KDE
anyway?  The only BIG piece of software that I update regularly is
firefox, that takes about an hour.  Even better you can emerge KDE while
in KDE.

Calvin...