[mythtv-users] Re: ATI GPU Transcoding...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:28:14 EST 2005

On 11/3/05, Mike Frisch <mfrisch at isurfer.ca> wrote:

> It just goes to show that the gaming industry is far larger and more
> controlling than those wanting to use their PCs for reliable DVD/video
> playback...  I thought the two would go hand in hand, but apparently
> that's not the case.

i thought that the movie industry looked at the gaming industry as the
'red headed step child' and only put up with them because they
occassionally benefited from video games turned crappy movies.

after reading the article, it looks like ATI's software will only be
included with their drivers, not as an extra package.  i guess that
may benefit users of that other OS, but unless we can get someone to
reverse engineer the way the chips work and write decent drivers then
we're outta luck.
although it would be pretty cool...

ps: no offense to red headed step children... ;)