[mythtv-users] Media MVP front end

Mike Daugird MDaugird at erdman.com
Thu Nov 3 09:07:18 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:34:29 James Grant wrote:

Transcoding converts a file from one format to another...  with the pvr-350
shows are captured as MPEG2... in the transcoding profiles you can setup to
transcode to different formats, such as MPEG4.

I have a 350 as well, I  capture as MPEG2, it auto-commercial flags the file,
i go in to the edit recording, load the commercial cutpoints ('Z' keybinding)
make sure they are correct, then begin transcoding.  My 1 hr shows go from
about 2.1GB at MPEG2, down to about 500MB at MPEG4 with commercials cut out.
Of course, if you use the TV-OUT on the 350, myth will now be forced to use
CPU decoding, since the 350's onboard MPEG2 decoder cant decode a MPEG4
stream.

maybe you havent setup your transcoding profiles properly, or you transcoded
from a MPEG2 to a MPEG2 with a higher bitrate (only way I could explain the
larger filesize).  Check your transcoding settings :)

James

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 9:08 am, Mike Daugird wrote:
> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:36:29 -0500
> From: James Grant <topace at lightbox.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Trim a file
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> watch recording -> choose file -> menu -> edit recording -> add/remove
> cutpoints -> menu -> begin transcoding
>
> Cheers,
>  James
>
> On Tuesday 01 November 2005 8:35 am, Mike Daugird wrote:
> > during the daylight savings time swap, my recording that should have been
> > 30 min turned into 1hr 30 min. I want to keep the show, is it possible to
> > trim the file and cut out commercials while I am at it? thanks

This question is to follow up on the trim a file question.
In the near future I wanted to use a wireless media MVP for the front end
to my mythtv system over 802.11g
I was keeping everything in MPEG-2 so that the Media MVP could decode it.
I also use a 6000 bit rate in the PVR-350 settings so that I could in the
future have (2) wireless frontends. I gave up on trying to make a silent
computer that didn't overheat in my entertainment center. The Media MVP
looks like it should work perfect. I only watch video that was recorded
by the PVR or my home DV camcorder files that are encoded to MPEG-2 by
a program called Kino.

Does anyone here have experience with using the Media-MVP as a front end?
thanks