[mythtv-users] AC3 recording for digital cable boxes.

Robert Macaulay robert.macaulay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 23:57:19 EST 2005

I have a PVR 150 and a PVR 500 on my myth box. I have my digital cable
plugged into one of these via svideo and RCA audio.

My cable box has a digital output on it--coax, and my mythbox has 2 digital
ports. -- one optical and one digital. Its a nforce3 MB, w/ an onboard snd
card using driver snd_intel8x0 identified as a CK8S. What makes me hopeful
on this is the following

mythbackend pcm0c # cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: Intel ICH : NVidia CK8S : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: Intel ICH - MIC ADC : NVidia CK8S - MIC ADC : capture 1
00-02: Intel ICH - IEC958 : NVidia CK8S - IEC958 : playback 1
mythbackend pcm0c # cat /proc/asound/devices
18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
0: [0- 0]: ctl

I see digital playbacks and capture devices

What I'd like to do if hookup the optical out to my receiver which I know is
possible.. but having AC3 output is not very useful if you dont have AC3
recorded in the first place. Can I use the COAX port on the snd card as a
recording device while using the optical as an output? And if so, how do I
convince myth to record the video via the hauppauge, and merge in the sound
from the sound card?

Oh, the is from cable in the US, not HDTV, plain old digital cable.

I've searched and searched, but what Ive found are lucky people w/ HDTV
cable boxed recording via firewire.

Thanks alot
Robert