[mythtv-users] Setup advice

Peter Darley darley at darleyconsulting.com
Wed Nov 2 16:50:18 EST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Joshua Lewis wrote:

> Sorry for any silly questions. I am trying to map this out in my
> head and
> i need some help please. Before I go and by the hardware
>
> 5 TVs in the house
> 5 Hauppauge MediaMVP at each TV
> 1 MythTV server in a closet/basement
> 5 WinTV-PVR-150MCE l.p. (or) 3-4 WinTV-PVR-500MCE in the server
> Alot of drives in the server
>
> Goal
> Watch DVDs that were copied to the server, Live TV, Recorded TV,
> Slideshows
> Play FM Radio, MP3s,
> Basicly all of the modules
> MythPhone what the heck is that.
>
> Ease of use: A wife, three kids, and a mother in law. Need I say more.
> Able to use remote with MediaMVP at each TV to navigate all
> functions. No
> need for a keyboard mouse etc.
>
> Am I cruzen for a bruzin? Or is this totaly ok. I was also hopeing for
> someone to confirm that a user at the TV using the MediaTV remote can
> click TV and watch the tv show that is running at that moment.
> Obviously
> it is being saved to the harddrive and replayed back but to the
> user it
> looks like live TV. How does MythTV handle multiple users watching
> different channels at the same time?
>
> I will only have CAT6 cable running from the server to the
> MediaMVPs. Is
> that going to cuase problems for Audio or does the audio for the
> radio and
> everything go through the CAT6 cable?

Joshua,

     This is just my experience; other's may differ.

     First, the MediaMVP will only play mpeg 1 and mpeg 2, so if
you're encoding the dvds with mpeg4, like a sane person, you won't be
able to play them on the mvps.

     Second, I have two tuners, and when the first tuner is in use I
can't get my mvp to play live tv from the second tuner.  It seems
like it will only use the first tuner.  This isn't a problem for me
since I don't care about the liveness of what I'm watching, but it is
a limitation.

     Third, the MVPs can't delete shows, so the users will have to
pay atention to what they watch and then delete it through mythweb or
something.  This probably doesn't pass your ease of use test.  I
doubt that my wife would be willing to do that, for example.

     The recent builds of mvpmc have a slimdevices player in them
which work with slimserver (for playing mp3s).  This is a great
system, and would probably work well for playing mp3s.

     I really like my MVP for the little TV I have next to my
computer, but it's really not as functional as a real frontend.

Thanks,
Peter Darley