[mythtv-users] Tuner card label - patch in progress but assistance requested

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 2 12:19:49 EST 2005

match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

>On 1 Nov 2005 at 18:58, Joel W. Goldwein, MD wrote:
>
>Then there's IVTV. It labeled my 2 Hauppauge cards 1 and 2, but it turned out that
>MythTV wanted to call them 2 and 3, with the HD3000 being 1. Very confusing. The
>only way I ws able to sort this out (I thought) was to make a test recording on each card
>before the HD3000 was set up. I got viewable picture on 2 and 3, but digital pixilation
>only on 1. So, the order was HD3000 as 1, and the two Hauppauge cards as 2 and 3,
>right? Still can't tell from this which is the PVR-250 and which is the PVR-250 MCE, but
>that didn't matter for my box because the both work equally well.

device number != card number

Device number is a number used by the kernel to access the device.  Card
number is used by Myth to associate settings with devices.

>Not so fast, bucko! This was still not correct. Setting up the backend, the two
>Hauppauge cards had magically become 1 and 2 again, and the HD3000 is 32!

card number = cardid

cardid is a sequence number assigned by MySQL (autoincrement).  That
means that you probably set up and deleted quite a few cards to get your
HD-3000 working...

>32! Where did that come from? I had to go back and change the entries for the cards,
>and all my efforts to figure out which was which was a waste of time, and my careful
>notes were worthless, because in the end I just deduced that 32 was the HD3000 (since
>I had never seen that number before) and guessed. (the avialable choices presented to
>me helped)
>
>And no documentation I was able to find gave any direction.
>
>I thought about chaning the order of the cards to cause them be numbered more
>consistantly during the install, but I could only do it after the install was complete and
>running, and once it was complete and running, why do it over?

Good you didn't try.  It wouldn't have "reset" your cardid's--would have
actually caused 33, 34, and 35 if you had deleted your originals or, if
you left your PVR-x50's and deleted the HD-3000, the 3000 would have
become 33 (giving you 1, 2, and 33).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/63269#63269
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/152756#152756

Mike